As a CFAL participant, you are someone with a keen sense of empathy, always attuned to the challenges faced by those you teach. Your mindfulness extends to the words you choose and the energy you bring to every teaching moment, recognizing that the how of teaching is as crucial as the what.
You understand that teaching is not just about imparting knowledge; it’s about fostering growth in confidence and competence. Seeking the best course designs is second nature to you, as you aspire to go beyond instructing to facilitating meaningful learning experiences.
Imagine education and training like lighting a flame inside each learner – not just to acquire knowledge but to ignite a desire to know more, be more, and expect more. Unlike the idea that learners are empty vessels waiting to be filled, we recognize that everyone brings their unique life experiences into the learning space.
As a Certified Facilitator of Adult Leaerning, your role is crucial. It’s not just about making sure learners understand what’s expected; it’s about sparking a genuine desire within them to actively engage and want to do it. We believe that this is the key to ensuring that the training goes beyond the typical classroom or Zoom session.
Think of it this way: when a teacher takes center stage, eager to share their knowledge without carefully planning learning experiences, it might be entertaining, but the chances of developing real skills in the learners are slim. Even demonstrations, while more learner-oriented, fall short if the learners don’t get hands-on with the material. That’s where learner involvement comes in.
In CFAL, we emphasize having participants like you actively engage in the learning process. Doing the same activities in training that you’ll do on the job ensures that you not only grasp the skills during instruction but also carry them away, ready to use in real-world scenarios. It’s about making learning a dynamic and participatory experience that extends well beyond the training room, making your skills practical and applicable.
As a CFAL participant, you’re not just here to learn; you’re here to become a facilitator who lights that flame in others, creating a lasting impact that goes far beyond the ordinary learning environment. Welcome to a journey of meaningful and effective adult learning facilitation at CFAL!
How CFAL is Structured
- CFAL is Self- Paced.
- Upon signing up and loging in, you are given access to all course materials. While there is a recommended way to proceed through the course, how you proceed is entirely up to you.
- Within the course are pre/post test quizes. They are entirely for your awareness of what you know already and what you may need to learn. You are the only one who sees theses quizes and the answers are available at the end each time you take the quiz.
- CFAL is competency based. You become certified as a Facilitator of Adult Learning when you have demonstrated meeting the CFAL course objectives by completing an entire course design based on your own content.
- A file is set up for you on Google Drive (used to be Google Docs). As you build your course you will submit 7 pieces of your course design on your Google Drive page. Each part of your document is reviewed and feedback given within 2 business days of submission.
- Feedback may include suggestions and requests to expand or explain each section. Initial feedback is given in writing. If necessary a Zoom call may be set up to clarify what the objective is calling for and how you can meet it. That is, what part of your thinking, problem solving is getting stuck and together we will unstick it!
- At the completion of the 7 components and a course evaluation you will be mailed a signed and framed certificate for 20 hours of on-line continuting education.